I was thinking about how fast summer was going by a few days ago. And I had this crazy notion I wasn’t living up to my full summer potential. Like I had been sitting in my apartment listlessly watching the hours drag by…and I knew that wasn’t true. I wanted to write down some things to do before summer ended, and also highlight the things I had already done. So this is my summer done/to do list. This summer has already been spectacular and I feel incredibly blessed to be living in such a fantastic city with a great community of friends.
Summer DONE list:
- Hung out with out of town friends. I love having people visit me and my city.
- Gone to the beach. Riis beach to be exact, which leads to my next item…
- Fulfilled my odd and freakishly stalker-like ambition of eating at all of the Ample Hills locations. I would freely describe myself as an Ample Hills addict. Hands down my favorite ice cream in the city.
- Waited in line and scored awesome seats for Shakespeare in the Park. I had never done this before.
- Did a crazy two-nights-sleeping-on-the-streets-experience to buy cancelation line tickets to HAMILTON. Was it worth it? YES. Have I been listening to the soundtrack nonstop since I was in the room where it happened? DOUBLE YES.
- Lounged in Governor’s Island hammock grove. Seriously, what’s better than a hammock?
- Scored tickets to the Brooklyn Pop Up Dinner. Second year in a row attending, and I’m still just as mesmerized by the sea of white and glorious table decorations.
- Attended a summer outdoor wedding. (Congrats again, Erin & Jon.)
- Camped out in Brooklyn Bridge Park for the 4th of July fireworks. My #1 favorite park in NYC.
- Went to multiple summer BBQs. Prospect Park is so close, and we’re definitely taking advantage of that.
- Learned new things at the Secret Science Club. Like how did I not realize there were FEASTING black holes and FASTING black holes? #terrifying.
- Gotten crafty with my community group. I have been so blessed by Liberty Church.
- Painted a mural in Bay Ridge. This one happened at the very start of summer, but I’m including it because I’m all about volunteering.
- Rode Jane’s Carrousel. Have wanted to do this ever since I moved here and just hadn’t gotten around to doing it.
- Gone on a city wide scavenger hunt. Sponsored by Open House New York. We didn’t get anywhere close to the top three teams, but we had a ton of fun.
Rest of Summer to-do list
- Visit two new beaches. I’ve got my eyes on you, Fire Island.
- Go to the Museum of Ice Cream. I mean, could I really NOT go to this??
- Go on some actual rides at Coney Island. I hear some roller coasters calling my name.
- Try two new ice cream places. You may have sensed that I really like ice cream. I haven’t been to Odd Fellows or that new Magnum NYC pop-up.
- Find a new summer jam. I’ve been looking forward to Relient K’s new release: Air For Free, as well as NEEDTOBREATHE’s Hard Love.
- Attend one of the BRIC Celebrate Brooklyn! summer concerts. Again, located in my backyard, Prospect Park.
- Catch one of the Broadway in Bryant Park series. Free broadway? Yes, duh.
- Visit the Mo Willems exhibit at the New York Historical Society. I love his picture books. And so many of them are set in the city!
- Visit the Cooper Hewitt and see their pixar exhibit. Haven’t been to this museum yet, and it looks amazing.
This isn’t everything, but it’s a start. What about you? What exciting things have you already done this summer? Any ice cream recommendations?